Sunday, November 16, 2008

Debates revisited- nature or nurture, aptitude or attitude, doing what you like or liking what you do

I always wondered about these debates, and whether there was a right answer to them or not. My experience says that only in initial days does nature, aptitude, and doing what you like is more important. Later on in life, all these sides of the debates take the back seat. Maybe there are different experiences for different people, and different reasons for those too. Let me tell you why I think the way I do.
In school days I was obese, shy, introvert, passive, and did not have many friends or hobbies or interests.
Now I guess my physique has improved a lot, im usually called 'besharam' rather than shy, extrovert, aggressive,have many good friends, and so many hobbies and interests that I dont have time to follow through!
Till school I despised all forms of exercise. However, when my friend introduced me to martial arts and my brother to gym, everything changed. Now I cant have enough of workouts.
A recently discovered passion for wildlife has further cemented by beliefs. I always loved animals, and towards the end of school, my mom and friends introduced me to trekking, where I fell in love with nature. However, till then it was limited. Now every time I see a mountain or jungle I feel like going straight in. Or I always feel like spending more time with animals....hence my visits to places ranging from Katraj zoo to Bandhavgad.
Also, I never used to study much in school days....till about 8th std. I used to read books that had nothing to do with academics, although some were saturated with physics concepts. Basically, I used to do what I like! Now, as I grow older (I refrain from using the word 'mature' since that can be a matter of opinion!) I realize that there are responsibilities which have to take priority over likes and dislikes. While I assumed the reins of responsibility, I started to realize that I actually like doing these things. That's when I realized I've graduated to liking what I do too. Not in totality though....because there are still many things that I would like to do more than the things I AM doing, but so-called responsibility had held me back.
Now as these debates brought to the front my actual likes, I am trying to go back to doing what I like more often. Which of course means gym, treks, wildlife etc..... am soon thinking of writing about my experience with wildlife as a separate entry.....coming soon to a mailbox near you!

No comments: